Purple or white, red or black – the turnip is a valuable winter vegetable. In late fall and winter, it can be purchased at almost any store or farmer’s market. The different colored turnips have different degrees of spiciness – white and purple are sweet, red is slightly spicy, and black is very spicy. I often include it in our daily menu in the winter – I prepare raw and baked salads, combine it with other vegetables in soups and stews.
For the recipe of Winter Salad “Snezhko” I was inspired by Turkish cuisine – the traditional preparation of a wide variety of salads, which is served together with other dishes for lunch or dinner. Of all types of turnips, I prefer white and purple turnips for the preparation of raw salads – sweet and juicy, without the strong specific aroma and taste of turnips, they are easily combined with other ingredients. I decided to add the traditional winter pickled gherkins from a jar to give a nice acidity to the salad. And for a light aroma and color contrast, I included fresh parsley leaves. And to bring it all together, I prepared a plant-based mayonnaise made from blanched sunflower seeds. I also added some husk psyllium powder for more fiber and to thicken the salad. In just 10 minutes I whipped up a delicious fresh salad – healthy, low calorie, all plant based and gluten free!
I decided to serve the winter salad “Snezhko” in Turkish style along with roasted potatoes with cumin, roasted red peppers, a few raw balls of “Yellow cheese” and black Turkish olives.
The winter salad “Snezhko” can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after its preparation, and it must be placed in a box with a lid!
Winter salad ”Snezhko”Course: Recipes, Salads
Salad of turnip and pickles gherkins
250 g purple turnips
can be replaced with white or red turnip
180 g pickled gherkins from a jar
130 g peeled sunflower seeds, raw, pre-soaked
120 ml filtered water
5 g Himalayan pink salt
10 g husk psyllium powder
15 g parsley leaves
- I wash the purple turnip and dry it. I open a jar of pickled gherkins, take them out and let them drain. I wash the parsley leaves and let them drain. I thoroughly wash the pre-soaked raw sunflower seeds in water and set aside to drain.
- With a kitchen scale, I weigh the necessary quantities of the ingredients from the recipe separately.
- I cut the purple turnip into several pieces and grate it with a large grater. I cut the pickled gherkins into thin pieces. I cut the parsley leaves into small pieces.
- In the jug of the blender I put the drained sunflower seeds, water and Himalayan salt. I blend until a uniform smooth mixture is obtained.
- In a bowl, I put the grated turnip and psyllium husk powder, add the chopped pickled gherkins and the chopped parsley leaves. I pour the sunflower mixture and mix well. I let the salad stand for 10 minutes, during which time it thickens.
- I put the salad in suitable plates and serve it for lunch or dinner alone or together with other dishes.
- Nutritional value per 100g. product:
- Energy value – 86.49 kcal
- Proteins – 3.01 g
- Carbohydrates – 5.03 g
- Fat – 5.69 g
- Fiber – 3.31 g