In our hectic everyday life, we often miss the most suitable moments for detoxification of our body or we still don’t have time for detox procedures. For some of us, it is not easy to set aside a few days for detox programs – it is not possible to be absent from work, other members of our family are not ready to share the detox program with us, and many other reasons and excuses for not doing the planned detox period . Over the years of our life together, my husband Danail and I have found thousands of excuses to skip or postpone detox periods. That is why I include in our daily menu a tea made from various detoxifying herbs, as well as foods that support the body’s natural detoxification.
For the Spring Detox Salad, I have very carefully selected the ingredients for their detoxifying properties, but their combination gives a pleasant taste and an impressive appearance. Lettuce is a low-calorie vegetable, but rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as the antioxidants Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Quercetin. Some of its health benefits are that it helps prevent cancer and protects neurons, relieves anxiety and stress, helps sleep better. Lettuce is suitable for dietary nutrition in case of diabetes and obesity, it helps to remove various harmful substances from the body. Its regular use improves the condition of diseases of the stomach and duodenum (ulcers, gastritis). Although dandelion is just a weed to most people, there are many scientific studies and researches that confirm its valuable medicinal properties. In addition to being medicinal, the dandelion is also a very nutritious plant that is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Its leaves and stems are a storehouse for vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals: iron and calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Dandelion has a positive effect on the body as a whole, increases the level of vitality and strengthens the immune system. The useful substances in the composition of the plant improve the work of the gastrointestinal tract, normalize metabolism, lower blood pressure, and help lower cholesterol. The juice of fresh dandelion leaves has an antispasmodic and antipyretic effect, promotes weight loss, restores liver cells, helps to remove stones from the kidneys, bladder and gall bladder. Cucumber is the perfect vegetable for anyone who wants to lose weight – the high water and fiber content in cucumber has the property of speeding up the metabolism, improving digestion and helping to remove toxins from the body. Radishes help cleanse the liver and stomach. They contain substances that control the damage of red blood cells and thus increase the oxygen supply of the blood. Radishes regulate the production of bile, protect the gallbladder and are a wonderful remedy against excess fluid retention. They are a good source of anthocyanins, which support heart function and thus reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
If you like spicy food, add thinly sliced green chili pepper to the salad or sprinkle chili flakes on top.
Radishes are from the Cruciferous Family and contain goitrogens that can affect thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism. If you have such a health problem, do not add the radishes to the salad or steam them for 5 minutes and then add them to the salad – the goitrogens disappear with cooking!
Allergy sufferers should be careful when consuming the dandelion plant. If you are hypersensitive to plants in the daisy family (daisies, calendula, chrysanthemums), you will most likely have an identical reaction to dandelion!
Spring Detox SaladCourse: Recipes, Salads
Green salad with dandelion leaves
200 g lettuce leaves
30 g dandelion leaves
150 g cucumber
80 g radishes
– dandelion flowers for decoration
80 g avocado pieces
50 ml fresh lemon juice
10 g kelp powder
20 ml filtered water
- With a kitchen scale and a measuring cup, I weigh all the ingredients separately. I wash the vegetables and drain them well.
- I put the pieces of avocado and the freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl, with a potato masher I mash the avocado into a puree – it can be mashed with a blender to a smooth puree, but I prefer to feel small pieces of avocado in the sauce. I add the water and kelp powder, mix until a homogeneous sauce is obtained.
- With a sharp knife, I cut the lettuce and dandelion leaves, put them in a bowl. I cut the cucumber lengthwise into 4 parts, cut into pieces about 5 mm thick and add to the bowl. I cut each radish into 2 parts lengthwise, cut into half-moons about 2 mm thick and add to the bowl. I add the avocado sauce to the bowl with the chopped vegetables and stir until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- I put the salad in suitable plates and serve together with other dishes for lunch or dinner. On detox days, I serve the salad with steamed green peas for lunch or dinner.
- Nutritional value per 100g. product:
- Energy value – 41.98 kcal
- Proteins – 1.22 g
- Carbohydrates – 2.61 g
- Fat – 2.73 g
- Fiber – 1.92 g