Gentle and not too soft, melting and slightly crunchy sesame seeds, with a light aroma of sunflower and basil – the perfect balls of vegan cheese to welcome guests! Easy to prepare and attractive enough for any holiday menu. They can be served as a delicious addition to any party. And why not as a gift for a special person?
Ever since we’ve been on a vegan and gluten-free diet, I’ve often tried vegan as an alternative to my favorite cheese balls. I wanted to recreate a certain taste from my memories, but I still didn’t like something – the taste was not the same or the texture was too soft! I’m a perfectionist and I experiment until I get the best out of what I want. And so I came up with the recipe for the perfect vegan alternative to my favorite cheese balls, which I prepared years ago for special lunches and dinners with friends. Sunflower seeds after soaking in water for 12 hours lose the pungent aroma of oil and acquire a milky taste. When combined with the right spices, you get a light aroma of freshly prepared milk mozzarella. As sesame seeds have a strong specific aroma, the milk aroma and taste are almost not felt in the finished sunflower balls. Apple pectin gives a subtle acidity, and psyllium powder absorbs excess fluid and gives a slight toughness to the mixture for sunflower vegan cheese. I serve sunflower balls with fresh leaves of leafy vegetables – spinach and kale, different types of lettuce and celery, because their flavors complement each other perfectly!
Salad ”Sunflower balls”Course: Recipes, Salads
Sunflower cheese balls
200 g baby leaves green and red lettuce
can be replaced with green salad mix baby leaves
- sunflower balls
250 g peeled sunflower seeds pre-soaked in water for 12 hours
1 g ground white pepper
1 g ginger powder
3 g dried basil
5 g Himalayan pink salt
can be replaced with any other salt
200 ml filtered water
15 g apple pectin powder
5 g husk psyllium powder
20 g white sesame seeds for rolling
20 g black sesame seeds for rolling
- I drain the pre-soaked peeled sunflower seeds in water, wash with running water and drain well again. With a kitchen scale I weigh all the ingredients of the recipe separately.
- In the blender jug I put the drained sunflower seeds and salt, spices and water. I blend until a homogeneous smooth mixture is obtained.
- In a bowl, pour the sunflower mixture from the blender jug. I add apple pectin and psyllium, mix very well and leave for 10 minutes at room temperature – during this time the mixture thickens!
- With the help of a kitchen scale I weigh the mixture into parts of 18 g each – when rolled in sesame seeds they become 20 g each! I shape each part with my hands into a ball and roll in sesame seeds – half the balls in white sesame and the other half in black sesame. I arrange the finished balls in a box with a lid and put them in the fridge – they can be stored for up to 3 days!
- serve the sunflower balls as a salad – in a suitable plate I put baby leaves of green and red lettuce, and on top I arrange a few sunflower balls!
- Nutritional value per 100 g. product:
- Energy value – 300.51 kcal
- Protein – 10.61 g
- Carbohydrates – 5.06 g
- Fat – 23.85 g
- Fiber – 10.19 g
- From the amount of ingredients for sunflower balls in the recipe are made 20 pcs. balls of 20 g each.