Is there anything more wonderful than welcoming the sunrise and starting the day with a smile? And then prepare a delicious smoothie with a rich taste of peaches and a light aroma of cinnamon! Our secret to a happy life is in the simple things and small pleasures every day – sincere smiles and walks in nature, fresh fruits and vegetables, aromatic spices from all over the world.
Peaches are one of my favorite fruits and therefore when they are in season they are often present in our daily menu. They can still be found in grocery stores and farmers markets, so be sure to include them in your menu. I prefer them raw, so I add them to smoothies or just serve them sliced on a breakfast plate. When there are enough fruits from the peach trees in our garden, I dry some of them in a dehydrator and put them in tightly closed jars. With dried peaches, I make an incredibly aromatic tea in the winter, but I will tell you about that on one of the cold winter days.
Why Hericium mushrooms? The Hericium erinaceus mushroom is one of the so-called medicinal mushrooms and has been used for thousands of years as a medicinal food. It is a tree fungus, mainly distributed in the Northern Hemisphere – it is an endangered species in our country and is included in the Red Book of Bulgaria. The Hericium mushroom is also known by other names – Lion’s Mane, Hedgehog Mushroom, White Beard, Monkey’s Head, Yamabushitake. In some Asian countries, it is cultivated and included in dishes and medicinal tea. In Bulgaria it can be found dried in pieces, dried in powder or as a food supplement in capsules.
Medicinal properties of Hericium erinaceus mushroom:
- Improves brain function and helps restore the myelin sheath of nerve fibers. The mushroom contains the specific substances Hericinon and Erinicin, which stimulate the synthesis of Nerve Growth Factor/ a protein necessary for nerve cells to send information to the brain and work properly/. Studies have shown that the mushroom can delay the development of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, as well as help restore peripheral nerves in neurological diseases.
- Strengthens the health of the digestive system by supporting the regeneration of the stomach and esophagus, intestines and mucosa. Antibacterial substances in the mushroom suppress the development of Helicobacter pylori bacteria and stimulate the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.
- Improves mental health by relieving states of anxiety and restlessness, reduces easy irritability and stress, positively affects mood, helps with menopause problems and depression, improves sleep quality.
- Prevents the growth and development of cancer cells thanks to the polysaccharides and polypeptides it contains. Scientific research shows that the mushroom has a serious anti-cancer effect and can slow the growth and development of stomach cancer, lung cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, liver cancer and colon cancer. A Korean study shows that thanks to the phytochemicals it contains, the mushroom has therapeutic potential for treating leukemia.
- It supports the health of the heart and reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases such as stroke and heart attack, atherosclerosis and others, thanks to its rich composition it prevents the formation of blood clots and plaques in the circulatory system.
We decided to include the Hericium mushroom in our menu, as we work long hours in front of the computer every day and this is associated with a lot of mental strain. A few months ago I went through a pinched and inflamed sciatic nerve which resulted in almost total immobility and a lot of pain. Thanks to the daily intake of Hericium mushroom powder, I was able to fully recover and enjoy long walks in nature again.
Protein Smoothie ”Peach Fantasy”Course: Drinks, Recipes
Smoothie with peaches and hemp seeds
170 g pieces of peaches
100 g pieces of banana
60 g hemp seeds, peeled
6 g turmeric powder
2 g Hericium mushroom powder
200 ml organic unsweetened soy milk
100 ml filtered water
- With a kitchen scale and a measuring cup, I weigh all the ingredients of the recipe separately.
- In the jug of the blender I put all the ingredients and blend until a smooth homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- I wash a peach and cut it into 2 halves. I carefully remove the stone and with a sharp knife cut 2 circles about 1 mm thick.
- I put the mixture in suitable glasses, decorate with a circle of peach and serve for breakfast.
- Nutritional value per 100g. product:
- Energy value – 91.38 kcal
- Proteins – 4.80 g
- Carbohydrates – 6.51 g
- Fat – 4.75 g
- Fiber – 1.50 g