Beetroot is one of the ever-present vegetables in our kitchen. With its leaves, I prepare fresh green salads, add them to soups and stews, include them as an additive in vegetable muffins and pies. In the summer, with large leaves from our garden, I prepare sarmi with a filling of peeled millet and red lentils – these are the most delicious sarmi for me! In winter, I prepare warm roasted salads with beet root, I bake it alone or in combination with other root vegetables. And my husband Danail’s favorite winter soup is the Russian soup “Borsch” in a vegan gluten-free version with the addition of hemp milk. Although I personally prefer fruit smoothies to vegetable juices, I often make a mixed vegetable juice from beetroot, pumpkin and carrots.
The red beet root has a specific aroma and taste, which are strongly expressed and dominate in fresh salads prepared with raw beets. As a person who was born and lived for many years in a village growing fruits and vegetables in the garden, I have been eating beetroot since I was a child and I have no problem with its taste and aroma. But there are people for whom the specific beet taste is not pleasant. That’s why I was looking for an option to dull the beet taste and aroma in raw salads. And so I came to the recipe for pickled salad “Beetroot” – the cold pickling of the beet root preserves all its useful substances. Immediately after preparation, I leave the filled glass jar in a dark and warm place for 48 hours – during this time it stays at a temperature of about 25°C. Then I put it in the fridge and store it for up to 3 months. I make double the amount of beets and fill several jars, so I have pickled beets at all times.
Pickled salad ”Tsveklovka” with a deep red color, pleasant crunch, a light sweet-sour taste and a subtle aroma of sage and garlic – this is the most delicious beetroot salad!
If you don’t like the scent of sage, you can replace it in the recipe with the same amount of fresh rosemary leaves!
If you like spicy food, add 5 g of chili flakes to the other ingredients of the recipe and you will have a pleasantly spicy marinated salad!
Pickled salad ”Tsveklovka”Course: Food in jars, Recipes
Pickled beet root with sage
1 kg red beet root
200 ml homemade red wine vinegar
can be replaced with organic apple cider vinegar unfiltered
30 g Himalayan pink salt
10 g fresh sage leaves
2 g garlic cloves
– glass jar with a capacity of 1700 ml
– metal cap for the glass jar
- I peel the beetroot and wash it well, drain it and weigh the required amount with a kitchen scale. I cut it into large pieces with a sharp knife and grate it with an electric grater. I wash the fresh sage leaves and cut them into thin strips about 1 mm thick. I wash the garlic cloves and cut them into thin slices about 1 mm thick.
- In a large bowl, I put the grated beets, chopped sage leaves and chopped garlic. I add the salt and wine vinegar, mix well and leave aside to taste for 10 minutes.
- With warm water and dish detergent, I carefully wash the glass jar and the metal cap, let them drain well.
- I carefully fill the glass jar with the grated beets, pressing it to the bottom of the jar with a wooden spoon. Finally, I pour in the liquid from the bowl and put the cap on the jar without screwing it all the way down. I put the full jar in a dark and warm place for 48 hours – during this time, the beet softens slightly and is well flavored by the spices. Then I put the jar of pickled beets in the fridge – it can be stored for up to 3 months.
- With a large spoon, I carefully remove the pickled beets and put them in suitable plates, I serve them as a salad together with other dishes for lunch or dinner.
- Nutritional value per 100g. product:
- Energy value – 41.19 kcal
- Proteins – 2.08 g
- Carbohydrates – 8.19 g
- Fat – 0 g
- Fiber – 3 g