Karkade / hibiscus / is one of my superfoods – on cold days it is my favorite tea, and on hot days it is one of the ingredients of my detoxifying water! I buy it as loose tea, because that way I can be sure of its good quality. As I am allergic to chemical food colors, I use powdered Hibiscus as a natural food color – it gives a pink to red color, and together with a little acid gives a purple color to food.
Hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa) is a shrubby plant that grows in warm tropical and subtropical regions and is known by various names – Кarkade, Chinese rose, Sudanese rose, roselle and many others. The cups of the overblown flowers are dried and thus turn into the familiar Karkade tea / hibiscus tea /. It contains only 50 kcal per 100 g. Hibiscus is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamine / B1 /, riboflavin / B2 / and niacin / B3 /, as well as the minerals Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus. And the content of bioflavonoids makes it a valuable food. Due to its rich composition, Hibiscus has antioxidant, antibacterial, astringent (thickens tissues and reduces secretions), diuretic, laxative effect. Hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure, which is why people with low blood pressure should be careful when taking it! It has an invigorating effect, although it does not contain caffeine, so it is not good to take in the evening!
Fruit smoothie “Tender Karkade”Course: Drinks, Recipes
Protein smoothie with banana and karkade /hibiscus/
130 g banana pieces
20 g pea protein isolate bio
20 g of rice protein isolate bio
30 g of sesame tahini
6 g Karkade tea /hibiscus tea/ loose
20 g of fresh lemon juice
350 ml. filtered water
- I peel a large banana and cut it into pieces. Using a kitchen scale, I measure the required amount and put it in the blender jug.
- I wash a lemon, cut it in two and squeeze the juice. I measure the required amount of juice and add a banana to the pieces.
- I measure the exact amounts of protein, sesame tahini and water. I add them to the blender jug.
- I measure the required amount of dry karkade tea /hibiscus tea/, with the help of an electric coffee grinder I grind it into powder and add it to the other ingredients.
- I blend the ingredients until a homogeneous mixture – the time depends on the power of the blender. Serve in suitable glasses.
- Nutritional value per 100 g. product:
- Energy value – 81.83 kcal.
- Protein – 7.12 g.
- Carbohydrates – 5.28 g.
- Fat – 3.20 g.
- Fiber – 0.69 g.